- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 ounces white candy coating
- Red sprinkles, optional
- Write fortunes on 10 strips of paper (5-in. x 3/4-in.): fold in half. Set aside. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw two 5-in. circles on the parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, sugar, egg whites and extracts. Add flour; mix well. Spread 2 tablespoons of batter over each circle. Bake at 400° for 5-6 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Working with one cookie at a time, remove carefully from pan using a thin spatula (cover other cookie with clean kitchen towel to keep warm). Place a fortune in the center of cookie; fold cookie in half over fortune strip so that the edges meet. Press edges together for 3 seconds. Place center of cookie over rim of a glass; gently press ends down to bend cookie in half. Let cookie cool on glass for 1 minute, then remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining cookie. If cookies become too cool to fold, return to oven to soften for 1 minute. Repeat with remaining batter.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Top with sprinkles if desired. Yield: 10 cookies.
Reviews for Fortune Cookies
Sort By :
"The other review was right in that these did not turn out well according to the directions. I didn't have parchment paper so I used foil sprayed with cooking spray and it worked nicely. The first two cookies did turn out discolored and hard, but I reduced the baking time to 4 minutes and I had better luck with them. I might add another minute onto the baking time still. Out of the batch of 10, only 5 turned out and I didn't get a chance to dip in chocolate and decorate nicely. I am going to try this recipe again and tweak some more. The cookies that didn't turn out did have a wonderful almond flavor, so it is delicious, just really hard to get to turn out."
"This recipe was such a disappointment! I really wish it would have turned out like the picture, but it didn't. It was AWFUL! Everything about this recipe was off, the temperature was too high and made the cookies cook unevenly. They turned out puffy and weird colored, and they stuck to the cookie sheet! I suggest if you want to make fortune cookies, do NOT use this recipe."