Forgotten Torte Recipe
This torte is "forgotten" in the oven overnight, but we never forgot how good it tastes when we eat it!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. + standing YIELD:10-12 servings
- 6 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Red food coloring, optional
- Raspberries or strawberries
- 1. In a large bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt at medium speed until foamy. Add sugar a little at a time, beating well. Add extracts. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Grease the bottom only of a 9-in. tube pan with removable bottom. Spread batter evenly in pan. Place in a preheated 450° oven and immediately turn off heat. Let stand in oven overnight. The next day, loosen edges of torte with sharp knife and turn onto serving platter. Just before serving, whip cream until stiff; tint with food coloring if desired. Frost with cream and top with berries. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 175 calories, 7 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 84 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC