Forgotten Torte Recipe
- 6 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Red food coloring, optional
- Raspberries or strawberries
- 1. In a large bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt at medium speed until foamy. Add sugar a little at a time, beating well. Add extracts. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Grease the bottom only of a 9-in. tube pan with removable bottom. Spread batter evenly in pan. Place in a preheated 450° oven and immediately turn off heat. Let stand in oven overnight. The next day, loosen edges of torte with sharp knife and turn onto serving platter. Just before serving, whip cream until stiff; tint with food coloring if desired. Frost with cream and top with berries. Yield: 10-12 servings.
1 slice: 175 calories, 7g fat (5g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 84mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 0g fiber), 2g protein .
Reviews for Forgotten Torte
"my grandmother's favorite. I used to make this years ago but lost the recipe and I have it again. thankyou. this angel food torte is so delish n easy n pretty. guess what i am making today !!"
"I have made this cake every year for my mother's birthday! It is her very favorite. I don't frost with whipped cream but serve sliced, strawberries on it and a scoop of whipped cream. Literally melts in your mouth and soooo easy!"
"Haven't made this yet, but I can't wait to make it ! Basically meringue, covered with whipped cream.... Oh my ! What could be more Heavenly ????? LOL"
"I've fixed a recipe just like this several times called, "Meringue Torte". It's so light and refreshing on a hot summer day! I slice strawberries and arrange them over-lapping around the top-center of the frosted cake. It's a showstopper and sooo delicious, people love it!"