Forgotten Minestrone Recipe
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced dried parsley
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground thyme
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- 1. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Add the zucchini, cabbage, beans and macaroni; cover and cook on high for 30-45 minutes or until macaroni and vegetables are tender. Sprinkle servings with cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup (calculated without salt and cheese) equals 203 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 335 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 16 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 starch.