- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced dried parsley
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt, optional
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground thyme
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups water
- 1 medium zucchini, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first nine ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Add the zucchini, cabbage, beans and macaroni; cover and cook on high for 30-45 minutes or until macaroni and vegetables are tender. Sprinkle servings with cheese if desired. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Forgotten Minestrone
Sort By :
Love it. Had to substitute beans for the garbanzo as my husband thinks he doesn't like them.
I had seen all the negative reviews, but still thought the overall recipe was good. Substituted beef broth and cannelini beans and it was wonderful!
I have been wanting to make th is recipe for years. First, I didn't add all 28 oz of canned tomatoes, I added one 14.5 oz of canned tomatoes, and added about 14 oz chicken broth. I didn't like the zucchini or the chick peas that it called for, and instead would have added potatoes. Other than that my kids really enjoyed it, especially my 2 year old daughter.
I didn't enjoy this recipe at all, too "herby" for my taste.
This soup was very good. I like all the veggies in it. Better the next day.