- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef or chicken broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound smoked sausage, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, broth and tomato paste. Stir in the celery, green peppers, onion, garlic and seasonings. Stir in chicken and sausage.
Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in shrimp. Cover and cook 15-30 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Place individual portions of cooled stew in freezer containers and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 11 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Forgotten Jambalaya
"This is the most wonderful recipe for jambalaya I've ever seen! I followed the recipe exactly (except I forgot the hot sauce). I left for a short shift at work and when I came home, 5 hours later, the whole house smelled heavenly. Thank you for the deliciousness!"
"A wonderful recipe! I was short on time and made this in my Instant Pot. Served over brown rice. It turned out great! Definitely will fix this again and sharing with foodie friends!"
"Made this with some super spicy sausage, so cut back on the hot sauce just a little. Tasted great not "crock pot like" at all!"
"Delicious!! We have to watch our sodium, so I made a few changes. Sodium free chicken broth, no salt added tomatoes, 1/4# smoked sausage, used no-sodium salt. Cut the sodium content in half. Absolutely delicious!!!"
"Been making a similar dish for years. It may not be the authentic way but it sure works for me. Always a winner!"
"This recipe is one of my favorite weeknight meals! It is simple but packed full of flavor and hearty! I usually add about 1 Tbsp. Cajun seasoning to it as well just to add an extra kick. I recommend this recipe and have shared it multiple times! Definitely a keeper!"
"Wow!! This was great!! I used a spicy andouille sausage, so decreased the cayenne pepper a little, otherwise followed the directions exactly, and it was fantastic. Will definitely make this again"
"My family LOVES this. I have to double the recipe, and it helps the diabetic's blood sugar, too. You can chop ahead and freeze the onion, celery and green peppers, and use prepared minced garlic (1 clove = 1 gently rounded teaspoon.) Freezes and reheats a treat."
"Absolutely love it!"