- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef or chicken broth
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pound smoked sausage, halved and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/2 pound uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, broth and tomato paste. Stir in the celery, green peppers, onion, garlic and seasonings. Stir in chicken and sausage.
Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in shrimp. Cover and cook 15-30 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Place individual portions of cooled stew in freezer containers and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 11 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Forgotten Jambalaya
"I made this and it was AWESOME!!! It was super easy to prepare, had good flavor and was just spicy enough. I didn't add the chicken or shrimp - I used smoked sausage and kielbasa. I added more chicken stock - just enough to cover it! I will be repeating this recipe for years to come!!!"
"My family LOVES this. I have to double the recipe, and it helps the diabetic's blood sugar, too. You can chop ahead and freeze the onion, celery and green peppers, and use prepared minced garlic (1 clove = 1 gently rounded teaspoon.) Freezes and reheats a treat."
"Absolutely love it!"
"Made it for a family gathering and it was a big hit!"
"I'cve made this. It is easy, quick and very tasty."