For-My-Love Sugar Cookies
Cut the dough for these crisp cookies into heart shapes...or form into letters to spell out sweet nothings to your sweetie. "These are our favorite sugar cookies," writes Marilyn Wheeler of Ellijay, Georgia. "They're one of the homemade treats I love to bake for friends and neighbors."
33 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min.
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- Colored sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and extract. Gradually add flour and mix well. Cover
- and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with
- lightly floured 2-in. cookie cutters. Sprinkle with colored sugar if
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for
- 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Yield: about 5-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 117 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 135 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.