Cayenne pepper adds a hint of heat to rich, creamy soup loaded with vegetables and crab. Serve it as a first course or as a meal by itself.—Charlene Chambers, Ormond Beach, Florida
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup roasted sweet red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 ounces fontina cheese, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup canned lump crabmeat
- Pat corn dry; transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 450° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute the onion, red peppers and celery in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, thyme, cayenne and corn. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Combine flour and cream until smooth. Gradually stir into broth mixture; add cheese. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and cheese is melted. Top servings with crab. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Fontina-Vegetable Crab Soup in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p42
Reviews for Fontina-Vegetable Crab Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review