Fontina Ham Stromboli Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 pound sliced deli ham
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced prosciutto or additional deli ham
- 1/2 pound sliced fontina cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Cool completely.
- 2. On two greased baking sheets, roll each loaf of dough into a 16-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spread each with 2 tablespoons pesto; sprinkle with onion mixture and basil. Arrange the ham, prosciutto and fontina cheese over each rectangle to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- 3. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under.
- 4. Brush with remaining pesto and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 2 loaves (8 servings each).
1 slice equals 314 calories, 14 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 915 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 18 g protein.
Reviews for Fontina Ham Stromboli
"I thought the dough was hard to work with and roll out; might use the Pillsbury Pizza Dough next time. Also thought about changing up the ingredients b/c my 17 y/o, who doesn't normally have a picky pallet, didn't care for the pesto. Thinking about doing just pizza sauce, pepperoni, sausage, and mozzarella cheese. My husband and I really enjoyed it."
"My favorite stromboli recipe yet."
"Made this for a meal exchange...it got rave reviews!"
"Delicious! You can easily change the meat, cheese to your liking - make a different stromboli each time! I think the pesto is my favorite part of it.I made my own pizza dough from my bread machine."
"Christmas Eve this year we had Fontina Ham Stromboli. It was great! I even gave some out as part of a Christmas gift and got rave reviews. Thank you for sharing your recipe with others."
"This is a very tasty recipe. I used Pillsbury Pizza Crust instead of the dough because I have a hard time working with the bread dough. That also made it easier to make only one instead of 2."
"This recipe was awesome! Perfect cold day lunch, with a nice bowl of soup. And it is so easily adapted to your preference - I made it once with all ingredients suggested, once with salami and american and then with meatballs and parmesan cheese and all were top notch!"