Fontina Ham Stromboli Recipe
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 pound sliced deli ham
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced prosciutto or additional deli ham
- 1/2 pound sliced fontina cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Cool completely.
- 2. On two greased baking sheets, roll each loaf of dough into a 16-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spread each with 2 tablespoons pesto; sprinkle with onion mixture and basil. Arrange the ham, prosciutto and fontina cheese over each rectangle to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- 3. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under.
- 4. Brush with remaining pesto and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 2 loaves (8 servings each).
1 slice: 314 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 915mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein
Reviews for Fontina Ham Stromboli
"I thought the dough was hard to work with and roll out; might use the Pillsbury Pizza Dough next time. Also thought about changing up the ingredients b/c my 17 y/o, who doesn't normally have a picky pallet, didn't care for the pesto. Thinking about doing just pizza sauce, pepperoni, sausage, and mozzarella cheese. My husband and I really enjoyed it."
"My favorite stromboli recipe yet."
"Made this for a meal exchange...it got rave reviews!"
"Delicious! You can easily change the meat, cheese to your liking - make a different stromboli each time! I think the pesto is my favorite part of it.I made my own pizza dough from my bread machine."
"Christmas Eve this year we had Fontina Ham Stromboli. It was great! I even gave some out as part of a Christmas gift and got rave reviews. Thank you for sharing your recipe with others."
"This is a very tasty recipe. I used Pillsbury Pizza Crust instead of the dough because I have a hard time working with the bread dough. That also made it easier to make only one instead of 2."
"This recipe was awesome! Perfect cold day lunch, with a nice bowl of soup. And it is so easily adapted to your preference - I made it once with all ingredients suggested, once with salami and american and then with meatballs and parmesan cheese and all were top notch!"