“Pesto seasons these savory meat- and cheese-stuffed slices that my family and friends love. The loaves freeze well—baked or unbaked.” —Nancy Piano, Nevada City, California
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto, divided
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 pound sliced deli ham
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced prosciutto or additional deli ham
- 1/2 pound sliced fontina cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Cool completely.
- On two greased baking sheets, roll each loaf of dough into a 16-in. x 10-in. rectangle. Spread each with 2 tablespoons pesto; sprinkle with onion mixture and basil. Arrange the ham, prosciutto and fontina cheese over each rectangle to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under.
- Brush with remaining pesto and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before slicing. Yield: 2 loaves (8 servings each).
Originally published as Fontina Ham Stromboli in Taste of Home December/January 2011, p36
Reviews for Fontina Ham Stromboli
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review