- 1 package (16 ounces) uncooked spiral pasta
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded fontina cheese, divided
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1-1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages (6 ounces each) fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 teaspoons oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken in batches; cook and stir 3-5 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, add mushrooms to remaining oil; cook and stir over medium-high heat 3-5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in soup, broth, 1 cup cheese, oregano and pepper. Add spinach and tomatoes; return chicken to pan.
Drain pasta; add to soup mixture and toss to combine. Divide between two greased 8-in. square baking dishes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, covered, 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
Freeze option: Cool unbaked casseroles; cover and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 350°. Cover casseroles with foil; bake as directed, increasing baking time to 1-1/4 hours or until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 2 casseroles (4 servings each).
Reviews for Fontina Chicken & Pasta Bake
"Made one for us and gave the other to friends. Both families thought the casserole was delicious; our friends requested the recipe. Mild yet flavorful, creamy, attractive presentation. Important to use the fontina cheese. Substituted a can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes for the fresh.Why do folks rate something they haven't even tried? It throws the average rating off."
"It was okay."
"I loved this-one of my favorites so far! I added a little more chicken and only put in about half the mushrooms since I'm not a huge mushroom fan. I will definitely make this again."
"My family really liked this, which was huge since they realized there was spinach in it!"
"Without making the recipe yet I'll a 3 since I haven't tasted it yet. Looks pretty. I don't know what Fontina Cheese is....?? Where do I find it - ps. I live in Australia!"
"Loved the overall taste and it was lovely to look at with the green spinach and red tomatoes. I will add more chicken next time and also a little red pepper flakes for a little zip."