- 1 tablespoon finely chopped hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons Nutella
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix hazelnuts and sugar. In a large bowl, whisk flour, confectioners' sugar and cornstarch. Cut in butter until crumbly. Transfer to a clean work surface. Knead gently until mixture forms a smooth dough, about 2 minutes (dough will be crumbly but will come together).
- Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1/4 teaspoon Nutella in center. Fold dough partially in half, just enough to cover filling.
- Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Brush with beaten egg; sprinkle with hazelnut mixture. Bake 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 2 dozen.
Reviews for Folded Hazelnut Cookies
"Tasty but I found this a time intensive recipe. The dough is quite crumbly. I had little problem rolling it out, but found when folding over the dough cracked at the fold. Not sure if I would make again, especially not at Xmas when I have a lot of cookies to make."
"Fabulous!! I have a joint disorder, so I put everything in a zippy bag & knead it all together. Works great. I then use a cookie scoop, flatten it with a glass & follow the rest of the recipe- too hard for me to roll & cut. I do end up with 48 cookies...I'm ok with that!! I don't like chocolate (gasp!!!) so I use bakers filling-fruit or nuts, whatever I'm in the mood for. I also like to use colored sugar...reflective of the holiday. Red fruit filling at Christmas with green sugar & nuts looks lovely!!! (Red fruit with blue sugar is fun for the 4th too!!) I've made these with gluten free flour (Bob's Mill's 1 to1) OMG!!! Still amazing!!!! No one can believe they're gf!"
"I also thought it was awfully crumbly but it came together great. A delicate cookie Love them"
"I mixed all of the ingredients in the food processor and used it to cut in the butter, which I found easier than cutting it in by hand. I wasn't sure that the dough would come together as it was really crumbly, but after a liitle kneading it came together beautifully. My kids love these cookies and have already asked me to make another batch."
"Nutella is a good filling"
"The person who submitted this recipe must have the patience of a saint! I tried making these today with my 2 boys, ages 4 and 5. I quadrupled the batch to give out as Christmas gifts in my treat packages. Delicious! Mine turned out exactly like the pictures, my boys' cookies..... not so much, but they still taste just as good!"
"These are amazing. Had to make a double batch the first time."