Fold-Over Tortilla Bake Recipe
Here's something a little different from the usual tacos— and it's special enough for potlucks or dinner guests.—Deborah Smith, DeWitt, Nebraska
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 flour or corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onion until beef is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, enchilada sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Pour half of the meat sauce into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Set aside.
- 2. Wrap the stack of tortillas in foil; warm at 350° for 8-10 minutes. Spread warm tortillas with cream cheese and top with chilies. Fold tortillas in half. Arrange folded tortillas over meat sauce; pour remaining sauce over top.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 473 calories, 25 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 1,138 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 27 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC