Fold-Over Tortilla Bake Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup enchilada sauce
- 1 to 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 flour or corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onion until beef is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, enchilada sauce and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Pour half of the meat sauce into a 13x9-in. baking dish. Set aside.
- 2. Wrap the stack of tortillas in foil; warm at 350° for 8-10 minutes. Spread warm tortillas with cream cheese and top with chilies. Fold tortillas in half. Arrange folded tortillas over meat sauce; pour remaining sauce over top.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 473 calories, 25 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 1,138 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Reviews for Fold-Over Tortilla Bake
"Pretty quick to make, and tastes great! I used an 8 oz. block of cream cheese, but it's less expensive to buy it that way rather two three oz. packages, and the extra two oz. doesn't add that much more cheese to the twelve tortillas. I'll be making these again, and I like someone's idea of adding shredded lettuce, black olives and sour cream so I'll do that next time. Thanks for a yummy recipe!"
"I love this recipe! Finally a recipe with NO Bell Peppers"
"Oh, I'm so full! This dish was excellent. I made it with corn tortillas and low-fat cream cheese and low-fat shredded Mexican blend."
"Had this for the first time tonight (4/13/12). Made accoding to recipe and I wouldn't change a thing. Wow! So yummy. This is definately going on top of the favorite list."
"I LOVE this recipe. I've made it several times now and with different types of meat: diced chicken, ground turkey, and ground beef. It's delicious with all of them. The one thing I do a little differently than the recipe is that I put just a spoonful of the sauce inside each tortilla - I think it's awesome that way! My family and several friends ALL love it! I'll make this again and again! Thank you!"
"These were really delicious; I used ground turkey instead of beef. I used corn tortillas and they became almost tamale-like. Will definitely be making these again!"
"I actually would give this 5 stars, not sure how it shows 4? Anyway this is one of my alltime favorite dishes. I have made it for years. I top it w/ shredded lettuce, black olives, sourcream and guac. YUMMY"