Focaccia Barese Recipe
This focaccia has been in my mom's family for several generations. It is one of my most requested recipes whenever I am invited to a party—I am not allowed to attend unless I bring it! —Dora Travaglio, Mount Prospect, Illinois
- 1-1/8 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups bread flour
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pitted Greek olives, halved
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh or dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the potato flakes, 1-1/2 teaspoons oil, salt, 1 cup flour and remaining water. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 3. Place 1 tablespoon olive oil in a 10-in. ovenproof skillet; tilt pan to evenly coat. Add dough; shape dough to fit pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. With fingertips, make several dimples over top of dough. Brush with remaining tablespoon of oil. Blot tomato slices with paper towels. Arrange tomato slices and olives over dough; sprinkle with oregano and salt.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice: 142 calories, 4g fat (trace saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 269mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Focaccia Barese
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC