Focaccia Barese Recipe
This focaccia has been in my mom's family for several generations. It is one of my most requested whenever I am invited to a party...I am not allowed to attend unless I bring my focaccia!Dora Travaglio, Mount Prospect, Illinois
- 1-1/8 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup pitted Greek olives, halved
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh or dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the potato flakes, 1-1/2 teaspoons oil, salt, 1 cup flour and remaining water. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Place 1 tablespoon olive oil in a 10-in. ovenproof skillet; tilt pan to evenly coat. Add dough; shape dough to fit pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- With fingertips, make several dimples over top of dough. Brush with remaining tablespoon of oil. Blot tomato slices with paper towels. Arrange tomato slices and olives over dough; sprinkle with oregano and salt.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Focaccia Barese in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2011, p53
Reviews for Focaccia Barese(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Appetizers >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Baked Potatoes >
- Baking Recipes >
- Bread Appetizers >
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Diabetic Appetizers >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Finger Foods & Finger Food Recipes >
- Italian Appetizers >
- Italian Bread Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Low Fat Appetizers >