Fluffy Waffles Recipe
"A friend shared the recipe for these light and delicious waffles," writes Amy Gilles from Ellsworth, Wisconsin. "The cinnamon cream syrup is a nice change from maple syrup...and it keeps quite well in the fridge. Our two children also like it on toast."
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- CINNAMON CREAM SYRUP:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine the egg yolks, milk and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions.
Meanwhile, for syrup, combine sugar, corn syrup and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the milk, vanilla and cinnamon. Serve with waffles.
Freeze option: Cool waffles on wire racks. Freeze between layers of waxed paper in a resealable plastic freezer bag. Reheat waffles in a toaster on medium setting. Or, microwave each waffle on high for 30-60 seconds or until heated through. Yield: 10 waffles (6-1/2 inches) and 1-2/3 cups syrup.
1 waffle with 2-1/2 tablespoons syrup equals 424 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 94 mg cholesterol, 344 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC