Fluffy Strawberry Meringue Pie Recipe
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines (about 12 crackers)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, divided
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Red food coloring, optional
- 1. In a bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in the crackers, pecans and vanilla.
- 2. Spread onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 10-in. deep-dish pie plate. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. Set aside one strawberry for garnish. Slice half of the strawberries; set aside. In a bowl, mash the remaining strawberries; drain juice, reserving 1/2 cup. In a saucepan, combine marshmallows and reserved juice. Cook and stir over low heat until marshmallows are melted. Refrigerate until partially set.
- 4. Fold the sliced and mashed strawberries and whipped topping into marshmallow mixture. Add food coloring if desired. Spoon into meringue shell. Garnish with the reserved strawberry. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until set. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 slice: 281 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 65mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Fluffy Strawberry Meringue Pie
"This recipe was in Farm Wife News when it first started. I made it to take to a FFA banquet and it was gone in a matter of minutes. My husband & kids love it and are not even wild about strawberries. Love the crust. I put it in a cake pan though since the crust expands so and fills up a pie pan."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.