Fluffy Strawberry Meringue Pie Recipe
My husband and I are grain and dairy farmers...and big fans of strawberries. The fruit I pick often ends up in this pie. The combination of the cool creamy berry filling and the delightfully different meringue crust guarantees you'll hear, "Pass the pie, please", all around the table.
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines (about 12 crackers)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, divided
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Red food coloring, optional
- 1. In a bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in the crackers, pecans and vanilla.
- 2. Spread onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 10-in. deep-dish pie plate. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. Set aside one strawberry for garnish. Slice half of the strawberries; set aside. In a bowl, mash the remaining strawberries; drain juice, reserving 1/2 cup. In a saucepan, combine marshmallows and reserved juice. Cook and stir over low heat until marshmallows are melted. Refrigerate until partially set.
- 4. Fold the sliced and mashed strawberries and whipped topping into marshmallow mixture. Add food coloring if desired. Spoon into meringue shell. Garnish with the reserved strawberry. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until set. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 slice: 281 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 65mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Fluffy Strawberry Meringue Pie
Reviewed May. 5, 2013
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC