Fluffy Strawberry Meringue Pie Recipe
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines (about 12 crackers)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 pints fresh strawberries, divided
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Red food coloring, optional
- 1. In a bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in the crackers, pecans and vanilla.
- 2. Spread onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 10-in. deep-dish pie plate. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until meringue is lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. Set aside one strawberry for garnish. Slice half of the strawberries; set aside. In a bowl, mash the remaining strawberries; drain juice, reserving 1/2 cup. In a saucepan, combine marshmallows and reserved juice. Cook and stir over low heat until marshmallows are melted. Refrigerate until partially set.
- 4. Fold the sliced and mashed strawberries and whipped topping into marshmallow mixture. Add food coloring if desired. Spoon into meringue shell. Garnish with the reserved strawberry. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until set. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8-10 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 281 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 65 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.