Children love this pie—marshmallows make the filling light and fluffy. It's a quick and easy recipe that I've shared many times over the years. Since it doesn't need to bake, this pie comes in handy at Thanksgiving and Christmas when your oven is in demand. —Phyllis Renfro, White Bear Lake, Minnesota
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 24 large marshmallows
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Additional whipped topping and ground cinnamon, optional
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°.
- Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove foil and weights; bake 3-6 minutes longer or until bottom is golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small heavy saucepan, melt marshmallows over low heat. Remove from the heat. Stir in the pumpkin, cinnamon, allspice and salt; cool to room temperature.
- Fold in whipped topping. Spoon into pastry shell. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving. Garnish with additional whipped topping and cinnamon if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Fluffy Pumpkin Pie in Country December/January 2007, p51
Reviews for Fluffy Pumpkin Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review