Fluffy Potato Rolls Recipe
"This is my favorite recipe for dinner rolls since they rise nice and high and brake up fluffy and golden brown," says Loraine Meyer of Bend, Oregon. "I won a ribbon at the county fair with these rolls two years in a row."
- 7 to 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (prepared without added milk and butter)
- 2 eggs
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a saucepan, heat milk, shortening and water to 120°-130°. Add to dry ingredients; beat until moistened. Add mashed potatoes and eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- 2. Do not knead. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 3. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and punch down. Divide in half. Shape each portion into 12 balls. Roll each ball into an 8-in. rope; tie into a knot. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets; tuck ends under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 2 hours.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 serving (1 each) equals 223 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 116 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC