Fluffy Pineapple-Pear Salad Recipe
Sweet pear and pineapple are treated to a light, creamy whipped topping with a hint of tang. “This unique salad is simple and delicious. It’s perfect for family meals or company,” says Marshfield, Missouri’s Bernice Morris.
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits
- 1 can (15 ounces) pear halves in juice, drained and cubed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1. Drain pineapple, reserving juice in a 1-cup measuring cup. Add enough water to measure 1 cup; set aside. Combine pineapple and pears in an 8-in. square dish; cover and refrigerate.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Stir in the pineapple juice mixture until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 3. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- 4. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in vinegar. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Fold in whipped topping. Spread over fruit. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until chilled. Yield: 8 servings.
1/2 cup equals 108 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 53 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC