Fluffy Fruit Salad
I like to bring my mom's fruit salad to potlucks. Its smooth sauce combined with all the colorful fruit makes it different than any other fruit salad I've tried. I've given out the recipe more times than I can remember.
Anne Heinonen, Howell, Michigan
12-16 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 cans (20 ounces each) unsweetened crushed pineapple
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) fruit cocktail
- 2 cans (11 ounces each) mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Drain pineapple, reserving 1 cup juice in a small saucepan. Set
- pineapple aside. In a large saucepan, add sugar, flour, eggs, orange
- juice, lemon juice and oil. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Boil for 1 minute; remove from the heat and let cool.
- In a large salad bowl, combine the pineapple, fruit cocktail, oranges
- and bananas. Fold in whipped cream and cooled sauce. Chill for
- several hours. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 173 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 47 mg cholesterol, 17 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.