If you're looking for a flaky basic biscuit, this recipe is the best. These golden-brown rolls bake up tall, light and tender. Their mild flavor tastes even better when the warm biscuits are spread with butter or jam. —Nancy Horsburgh, Everett, Ontario
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Whisk
- egg and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Turn onto a well-floured surface; knead 20 times. Roll to 3/4-in.
- thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place on a
- lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 450° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
- Yield: 1 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 168 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 244 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.