Jackie Hannahs, Fountain, Michigan
Judi Oudekerk of Buffalo, Minnesota features these sweet treats as one of a number of “cooking club” projects at the after-school program she supervises. “The flower-topped cupcakes are so easy that even children in our kindergarten make them,” she assures. “They’re great for a spring or summer birthday party.”
24 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 16 pieces Fruit by the Foot
- 24 large green gumdrops
- 48 large assorted gumdrops
- 48 pretzel sticks
- Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions for cupcakes.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for
- 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean. Cool for 5 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to
- cool completely.
- Cut three 9-in. pieces from each fruit roll piece (save small pieces
- for another use). With a small pastry brush, lightly brush water on
- one end of a fruit strip. Wrap around bottom of cupcake; press ends
- together. Repeat with remaining cupcakes. Lightly brush water on one
- side of remaining fruit strips; fold in half lengthwise. Brush one
- end with water; wrap around cupcake top, slightly overlapping bottom
- fruit strip.
- Press each gumdrop into a 1-1/4-in. circle. With scissors, cut each
- green gumdrop into four leaf shapes; set aside. Cut one end of each
- remaining gumdrop into a tulip shape. Gently press a pretzel into
- each tulip-shaped gumdrop. Gently press gumdrop leaves onto
- pretzels. Press two flowers into the top of each cupcake. Yield: 2