Flower Power Cupcakes Recipe
These lemony cupcakes look like they took a lot of effort, but flower-shaped cookie cutters and rolled fondant make them simple to decorate! —Taste of Home Cooking School
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 can (16 ounces) ready-to-spread classic white frosting
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Food coloring, optional
- 1 package (1.1 pounds) rolled fondant pastel colors multi-pack
- 1. In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in lemon peel.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool cupcakes for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine frosting, sugar, lemon extract and 2-3 drops food coloring if desired. Beat until smooth, scraping bowl frequently. Frost cupcakes, setting aside some frosting for decorations.
- 4. Unroll fondant according to package directions. Cut with flower-shaped fondant or cookie cutters. Stack fondant cutouts as desired; use reserved frosting to attach fondant pieces together. Decorate cupcakes as desired. Yield: about 16 cupcakes.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC