These lemony cupcakes look like they took a lot of effort, but flower-shaped cookie cutters and rolled fondant make them simple to decorate! —Taste of Home Cooking School
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 can (16 ounces) ready-to-spread classic white frosting
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- Food coloring, optional
- 1 package (1.1 pounds) rolled fondant pastel colors multi-pack
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in lemon peel.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-24 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool cupcakes for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine frosting, sugar, lemon extract and 2-3 drops food coloring if desired. Beat until smooth, scraping bowl frequently. Frost cupcakes, setting aside some frosting for decorations.
- Unroll fondant according to package directions. Cut with flower-shaped fondant or cookie cutters. Stack fondant cutouts as desired; use reserved frosting to attach fondant pieces together. Decorate cupcakes as desired. Yield: about 16 cupcakes.
Originally published as Flower Power Cupcakes in Taste of Home Cooking School Collection Spring 2008, p62
Reviews for Flower Power Cupcakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review