- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 package (10-1/2 ounces) miniature marshmallows
- Red and blue liquid food coloring
- 4 cups Frosted Cheerios
- 15 leaf-shaped spearmint gumdrops
- 15 wooden skewers (8 inches)
- 3 strawberry-flavored Fruit by the Foot fruit rolls
- 6 large marshmallows
- Colored sugar
- 3/4 cup chocolate frosting
- 1 loaf (10-3/4 ounces) frozen pound cake, thawed
- 12 crisp rectangular cookies (about 3 inches x 1-3/4 inches)
- For hyacinths, combine the butter and marshmallows in a saucepan; cook and stir over low heat until melted. Divide into two large bowls. Stir 2-3 drops each of red and blue food coloring into one bowl; stir 1-2 drops red food coloring into another bowl. Add 2 cups cereal to each bowl; stir until well coated. Insert one gumdrop on nine skewers. With greased hands, quickly shape about 1/2 cup cereal mixture into a 3-to 4-in.-long hyacinth shape around gumdrop. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Loosely cover and chill for 4 hours or until firm.
- For each tulip, cut six 2-1/2-in.-long pieces of fruit roll. With a kitchen shears, trim one end of each piece into tulip petal shape. Trim 1/4 in. from each corner of opposite end. With a small pastry brush, lightly brush water on one end of marshmallow; dip in sugar. Lightly brush water on sides and bottom of marshmallow so top of petal is 1/2 in. above sugared end (see photo below).
- Repeat five times, overlapping the side of each petal by 1/8 in. Fold bottom of petals under marshmallow, overlapping tapered ends Brush with water if needed to hold petals together. Insert a skewer through petals into center of marshmallow. Insert a gumdrop into the other end of skewer to hold marshmallow in place.
- Frost top and sides of cake; place cookies vertically around cake. Just before serving, insert flowers into cake, trimming bottom of skewers to varied lengths Yield: 8 servings of cake plus 9 hyacinths and 6 tulips.
Reviews for Flower Box Cake(1)
Sort By :
This was so much fun to make with the kids! We made it during a snow day to bring a touch of Spring into the house. We got creative and had yellow hyacinths and purple tulips too . . . all made by simply altering the color of the fruit roll ups and the food coloring of the cheerios! We used Vienna Fingers for the outside of the flower box and sprinkled some green coconut on top of the chocolate icing on the cake for a 'grass' look. Would make it again in a heartbeat.