Flourless Dark Chocolate Cake Recipe
This simple cake from our Test Kitchen is rich and over-the-top chocolatey. The confectioners' sugar on top makes a very pretty presentation when you want to impress those guests.
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces dark baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 container (2-1/2 ounces) prune baby food
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Baking cocoa and confectioners' sugar
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a 9-in. springform pan with cooking spray; place on a baking sheet.
- 2. In a small saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool slightly. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in baby food, vanilla and chocolate mixture.
- 3. With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold a fourth of the whites into chocolate mixture, then fold in remaining whites.
- 4. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs. Cool on a wire rack 20 minutes. Loosen sides from pan with a knife; remove rim from pan. Cool cake completely. Dust with cocoa and confectioners’ sugar before serving. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 188 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 50 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC