Flourless Dark Chocolate Cake Recipe
This simple cake from our Test Kitchen is rich and over-the-top chocolatey. The confectioners' sugar on top makes a very pretty presentation when you want to impress those guests.
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 8 ounces 53% cacao dark baking chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup plus 1/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 container (2-1/2 ounces) prune baby food
- 1 teaspoon dark baking cocoa or baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Coat a 9-in. springform pan with cooking spray. Place pan on a baking sheet; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar and vanilla, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Beat in baby food and chocolate mixture.
- 3. Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form; fold into batter.
- 4. Pour into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove sides of pan. Cool completely.
- 5. Sprinkle with cocoa and confectioners’ sugar. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 188 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 50 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC