Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 4 eggs, separated
- 10 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Chocolate Ganache, optional
- 1/4 cup finely ground pecans, toasted
- Sliced strawberries and fresh mint, optional
- 1. Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a heavy saucepan, melt butter, 1/4 cup sugar and chocolates over low heat, stirring constantly. Cool until mixture is lukewarm.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored, about 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in pecans and chocolate mixture.
- 3. In a small bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form. Stir a small amount of whites into chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining whites.
- 4. Pour into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- 5. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove sides of pan and cool completely. Frost with Chocolate Ganache if desired. Garnish with strawberries and mint if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
1 piece: 138 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 88mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Flourless Chocolate Cake
"To other viewer. The ground pecans go in the cake. It is in the directions, the ingredients are just out of order. Click on the words choc ganache and it will link you to that recipe"
"Where is the amount of chocolate for the choc. ganache? It only gives the ground pecans, toasted & the optional of sliced strawberries & fresh mint! Thanks, firstname.lastname@example.org"
"to sherrygm: 11g fat = 99cals, 8g carbs = 32cals, 2g pro = 8cals total = 139 calories. The math is correct. (fat =9 calories/gram, protein and carbs =4 calories/gram)"
"Haven't actually made this recipe yet, but it looks delicious so I'll give it four stars! I'm just wondering how it can have only eight carbs (according to the nutritional value at the bottom.) I've checked the carb info for all the ingredients listed and it just doesn't add up. Perhaps it's a misprint. Anyone have any ideas?"
"I forgot the unsweet choc. but it didn't need it. It could have been a little sweeter. I liked the light fluffy chocolaty taste. It was not pretty, cracked and flat. My son is gluten free. I made a choc/confectioners sugar frosting that was very sweet and fluffy and that made it sweet enough. I made this cake again tonight using 3 oz semisweet & 3 oz bittersweet chocolate and about 2 tablespoons more sugar. This cake tastes delicious, very chocolaty-I could eat the whole thing. Thank you for a great tasting but still flatish & cracked cake recipe."
"This was a great recipe and my first experience at making a flourless cake. I think I overcooked it at 40 min. so next time I will cut back on the cooking time. My family raved about it and my oldest daughter said she felt like she was eating dessert at a gourmet restaurant. I made the chocolate Ganache to top it with and placed raspberries on top just to look pretty. I used the rest of the pint of raspberries to make a light sauce to drizzle over the plates. This will definitely be served again at my house."
"I have made this cake several times and it is now my Madie's fav. Each time it seems to turn out better and better. I have no idea what is up with that. It is to die for!"