Flourless Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 4 eggs, separated
- 10 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Chocolate Ganache (recipe also in Recipe Finder), optional
- 1/4 cup finely ground pecans, toasted
- Sliced strawberries and fresh mint, optional
- Let egg whites stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a heavy saucepan, melt butter, 1/4 cup sugar and chocolates over low heat, stirring constantly. Cool until mixture is lukewarm.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and lemon-colored, about 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in pecans and chocolate mixture.
- In a small bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until stiff peaks form. Stir a small amount of whites into chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining whites.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove sides of pan and cool completely. Frost with Chocolate Ganache if desired. Garnish with strawberries and mint if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews for Flourless Chocolate Cake(5)
Sort By :
I forgot the unsweet choc. but it didn't need it. It could have been a little sweeter. I liked the light fluffy chocolaty taste. It was not pretty, cracked and flat. My son is gluten free. I made a choc/confectioners sugar frosting that was very sweet and fluffy and that made it sweet enough. I made this cake again tonight using 3 oz semisweet & 3 oz bittersweet chocolate and about 2 tablespoons more sugar. This cake tastes delicious, very chocolaty-I could eat the whole thing. Thank you for a great tasting but still flatish & cracked cake recipe.
This was a great recipe and my first experience at making a flourless cake. I think I overcooked it at 40 min. so next time I will cut back on the cooking time. My family raved about it and my oldest daughter said she felt like she was eating dessert at a gourmet restaurant. I made the chocolate Ganache to top it with and placed raspberries on top just to look pretty. I used the rest of the pint of raspberries to make a light sauce to drizzle over the plates. This will definitely be served again at my house.
I have made this cake several times and it is now my Madie's fav. Each time it seems to turn out better and better. I have no idea what is up with that. It is to die for!
definitely will bake this cake
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Chocolate Cake >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Cake Recipes >
- Chocolate Dessert Recipes >
- Chocolate Desserts >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >