Flourless Chocolate Almond Cake Recipe
“This moist cake presents an alternative to the traditional flour based cake,” explains Jane Shapton from Irvine, California. Its mild chocolate flavor is jazzed up with whipped cream and berries.
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup unblanched almonds
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Dash cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- Chocolate syrup, optional
- 1. Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a blender, combine almonds and 2 tablespoons sugar; cover and process until ground. Combine water and cocoa; set aside.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Blend in the almond mixture, cocoa mixture and vanilla.
- 3. In another bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt on high until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold egg whites into the batter.
- 4. Pour into a 6-in. springform pan coated with cooking spay. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool completely. Garnish with chocolate syrup if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 slice (calculated without chocolate syrup) equals 321 calories, 18 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 159 mg cholesterol, 92 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC