- 3 eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup unblanched almonds
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Dash cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- Chocolate syrup, optional
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a blender, combine almonds and 2 tablespoons sugar; cover and process until ground. Combine water and cocoa; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Blend in the almond mixture, cocoa mixture and vanilla.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt on high until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold egg whites into the batter.
- Pour into a 6-in. springform pan coated with cooking spay. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool completely. Garnish with chocolate syrup if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Flourless Chocolate Almond Cake
Sort By :
"the egg whites didn't fold in all that well... The cake didn't taste all that bad. It is very light and fluffy, so i was pleased with the finished product's texture... However, it certainly didn't "wow" me. It doesn't look like the picture! lol. Might be better with icing?"