Flour Tortilla Mix Recipe
Katie Koziolek of Hartland, Minnesota shares this recipe for homemade flour and spinach tortillas. Use them when a recipe calls for the packaged variety, or try them in the Southwestern suppers Katie offers here.
- 8-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR FLOUR TORTILLAS:
- 1/2 cup plus 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS FOR SPINACH TORTILLAS:
- 1/4 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/3 cup plus 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, milk powder, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until crumbly. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 4 batches (about 10 cups total).
- 2. To prepare flour tortillas: In a large bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups tortilla mix and 1/2 cup water. Stir with a fork until mixture forms a ball, adding additional water if necessary.
- 3. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 6-8 times or until smooth and combined. Divide into 10 portions. Roll each piece into an 8-in. circle.
- 4. In a 10-in. ungreased nonstick skillet, cook each tortilla over medium-high heat for 30-45 seconds or until bubbles form. Turn tortilla, pressing bubbles down with a spatula. Cook about 30 seconds longer or until lightly browned. Yield: 10 tortillas (8 inches each).
- 5. To prepare spinach tortillas: In a blender, combine spinach and 1/3 cup water; cover and process until smooth. In a large bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups tortilla mix and spinach mixture. Continue as directed for flour tortillas. Yield: 10 tortillas (8 inches each).
1 serving (1 each) equals 148 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 100 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Flour Tortilla Mix
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC