- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1-1/2 cups orange juice
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 large navel oranges, peeled, sectioned and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in orange juice until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the oranges, butter and orange peel. Gently stir in lemon juice. Pour into pastry shell.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 teaspoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Florida Pie
"I was so excited to try this pie. After ready a review that itheir's had turned out runny, I made sure my filling was very thick. Imagine my disappointment when I cut into my pie the next morning and it also was runny, more like soup; yes a nice orange soup. I pondered and pondered. It had to be the excess juice from the oranges. Anyone else?"
"We love this pie it captured the freshness of oranges and goes with all meals."
"This is an exciting recipe, but I can't get it to turn out properly. I have made this twice, and the filling has been extremely runny both times. What could I be doing wrong? I am following the recipe to the letter. Just to clarify: I'm assuming that the 2 large navel oranges includes the juice from those oranges as well as the solids? And secondly, why does the lemon juice have to be mixed in "gently"?"
"This was so tasty and just a little bit different from regular lemon meringue pie, which is my favorite! It was a nice change of pace too, since the flavors are just a little different from your average pie."
"This pie was delicious with a delightful citrus flavour. It was very easy to make and made a nice light dessert. I would make my own pie crust next time, to reduce the fat and calories."
"One more thing. I understand the calorie thing is high. I would recommend making it in ramikins without crust and adding meringue."
"This was a hit at a dinner party I had. The citrus taste was yummy> I like the texture of the chopped oranges in the pie."
"helloo:I Think thats the best Flordia Pie ive ever tasted,I love it i rate it a 100 percent Mae Jenkins"
"I was disappointed, also"