Florida Citrus Meringue Pie Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice.
- 2. Bake 8-10 minutes or until bottom is lightly browned. Remove foil and weights; bake 5-8 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in water and orange juice. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer (mixture will be thick). Remove from heat.
- 4. In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Gently stir in lemon juice, butter, and lemon and orange peels.
- 5. For meringue, in a large bowl, beat egg whites with vanilla and cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form.
- 6. Transfer hot filling to crust. Spread meringue over filling, sealing to edge of crust; swirl top with the back of a spoon.
- 7. Bake 13-16 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour. Chill 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 415 calories, 17g fat (10g saturated fat), 140mg cholesterol, 318mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein .
Reviews for Florida Citrus Meringue Pie
"Great pie. Daughter won first place in our home town pie contest."
"This was my birthday pie last year...and i am hoping for another!"
"This wouldn't set! Even after I removed the meringue and cooked it another 30 minutes, I refrigerated it over night and it firmed up a little."
"I made this for a dinner party and everyone loved it. It's easy to make and oh, so delicious."
"I made this pie for special freinds. They raved over it as do I. Fantastic, I've made it several times since & it's just plain geat!!"
"pretty simple, and super tasty!added 1/4 tsp cream of tartar to the meringue though. c:"
"You are forgetting the cream of tartar for the meringue without this it comes out flat"
"This pie has a smoother flavor than lemon meringue pie. It is less tart. I liked it better as did my guests. We will definitely make this again."
"Everybody raved. Easy and it did not have to set overnight like most lemon meringue pies."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.