Florida Citrus Meringue Pie Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 450°. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until bottom is lightly browned. Remove foil and weights; bake 5-8 minutes longer or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in water and orange juice. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer (mixture will be thick). Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Gently stir in lemon juice, butter, and lemon and orange peels.
- For meringue, in a large bowl, beat egg whites with vanilla and cream of tartar on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form.
- Transfer hot filling to crust. Spread meringue over filling, sealing to edge of crust; swirl top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake 13-16 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour. Chill 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Florida Citrus Meringue Pie(9)
Sort By :
Great pie. Daughter won first place in our home town pie contest.
This was my birthday pie last year...and i am hoping for another!
This wouldn't set! Even after I removed the meringue and cooked it another 30 minutes, I refrigerated it over night and it firmed up a little.
I made this for a dinner party and everyone loved it. It's easy to make and oh, so delicious.
I made this pie for special freinds. They raved over it as do I. Fantastic, I've made it several times since & it's just plain geat!!