Florets with Parmesan Sauce
For a simple but winning side dish, try this broccoli and cauliflower drizzled with a smooth sauce. I sprinkle extra Parmesan on top just before serving.
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 4 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Place broccoli and cauliflower in a steamer basket; place in a
- saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for
- 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the broth, cream and mustard. In
- a small saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, onion powder and
- pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in broth mixture. Bring to a
- boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from
- the heat. Stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Place vegetables in a serving bowl; drizzle with sauce and sprinkle
- with remaining Parmesan. Yield: 10 servings.