Florets with Cheese Sauce
Tossed in a homemade cheese sauce, these tender cauliflower and broccoli florets from our Test Kitchen make a tasty topping for the mashed potatoes. But the combination also can be served as a side dish to round out most any meal.
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 3 cups fresh cauliflowerets
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 to 5 drops hot pepper sauce
- Place cauliflower and broccoli in a large steamer basket; place in a
- large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam
- for 12-15 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour,
- mustard and salt until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil;
- cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add
- cheese and pepper sauce. Stir until cheese is melted. Add vegetables
- and toss to coat. Yield: 4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 97 calories, 6 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 227 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.