Floret Cheese Strudel Recipe
This is a unique way to serve broccoli and cauliflower, wrapped in puff pastry. It looks so pretty on the table. Without fail, I'm asked for the recipe whenever I serve it. Bonnie Zaparinuk, Whitehorse, Yukon Territory
- 3-1/2 cups broccoli florets
- 2-1/2 cups cauliflowerets
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 package (17-1/4 ounces) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water, broccoli and cauliflower to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, broccoli and cauliflower; set aside.
- Melt remaining butter. Place one sheet of puff pastry on a piece of waxed paper; brush with butter. Spoon half of the vegetable mixture along one long side of pastry. Sprinkle with mozzarella and cheddar cheeses. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting from the long side topped with the vegetables; pinch seams and ends to seal. Brush top with melted butter. Carefully place seam side down on an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and vegetable mixture.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes. Slice with a serrated knife. Yield: 2 strudels (4-6 servings each).
Originally published as Floret Cheese Strudel in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2002, p129
Reviews for Floret Cheese Strudel(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Nov. 30, 2011
Love this recipe....it's such a cool way to serve vegetables! It was a bit bland so i added salt, pepper, onion powder and nature's seasoning and some more cheddar cheese. Beautiful!