- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped candied orange peel
- Semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- Red or green candied cherries, halved, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, butter, cream, honey, lemon peel and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 4 minutes or until a candy thermometer reads 225°. Remove from the heat; stir in almonds and orange peel.
- 2. Drop by scant tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 6-8 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately flatten warm cookies with the back of a spoon. Cool completely on parchment paper.
- 3. If desired, melt chips in a microwave; stir until smooth. Spread or brush over bottoms of cookies. Use a fork to create wavy lines in chocolate. Place a cherry half in the center. Let stand until set. Yield: 4 dozen.
1 cookie (calculated without optional ingredients) equals 60 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 29 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.