- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) pasta sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage and onion, crumbling meat, until sausage is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in pasta sauce and mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook until heated through, about 15 minutes.
- Drain pasta. Combine the egg with the next five ingredients. Spread 1 cup sausage mixture in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with spaghetti and remaining sausage mixture. Layer with egg mixture and mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover; bake until lightly browned and heated through, about 15 minutes longer. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Florentine Spaghetti Bake
"I had almost all the ingredients for this dish, so I called a few neighbors for a few ingredients and to my happy surprise, one had the cottage cheese and the other had the chopped spinach I needed...This casserole is a keeper!! it was so homey and delicious...I shared some of the casserole with my neighbors and printed the recipe for them..."
"This was really good. It so hard to get my kids to eat green vegetables! But this was a winner. It tasted great. It made a ton too. I fed 4 kids and two adults and still had a ton left over."
"I liked it but haven't tried it yet. It just sounds tasty and easy to make. EVL"
"I needed to make changes to ground beef, 10oz. box of spaghetti, 24 oz jar of Prego and fresh spinach, because that's what I had on hand. I rinsed out the jar with a cup of water and added that to the meat/spaghetti mix. We liked this dish a lot and I will definitely be making this again."
"Good filling dish"
"Delish. Will definitely make again. Even better the the next day. Love it..."
"This was SO good! My only alteration was I used home canned pasta sauce. This is a keeper for sure! YUUUMMMM!"
"Very good! I doubled the pasta and spaghetti sauce, and substituted rigatoni for the spaghetti, ricotta for the cottage cheese and used fresh spinach and mushrooms. I also added an extra egg, a bit more parmesan and used kosher salt instead of seasoned salt. My husband loved it! Definitely a recipe to try!"
"Even my daughter who is a very picky eater loved this recipe. It was easy to make and tasted delicious! What more can you ask for? The only changes I made were I used a 32 oz. jar of spaghetti sauce, and omitted the mushrooms. It was perfect."