- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) pasta sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage and onion, crumbling meat, until sausage is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in pasta sauce and mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook until heated through, about 15 minutes.
- Drain pasta. Combine the egg with the next five ingredients. Spread 1 cup sausage mixture in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with spaghetti and remaining sausage mixture. Layer with egg mixture and mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes. Uncover; bake until lightly browned and heated through, about 15 minutes longer. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Florentine Spaghetti Bake
"In the oven for supper tonight! Very tasty and comes together quickly for a fast meal! While it's baking you can sit down and take a break! ??"
"My family loved this recipe. I don't care for the texture of cottage cheese so used ricotta cheese instead. Absolutely delicious!"
"Good hearty meal. We used whole wheat spaghetti and substituted chopped fresh kale for the frozen spinach. Not a very spicy dish, but definitely versatile!"
"Fantastic! A real crowd pleaser:) I made some tweaks to the recipe as I used 12 ounces of spaghetti instead of eight , ground turkey ( which I seasoned with salt and pepper) instead of Italian sausage, one jar sauce plus another half a jar of pasta sauce plus 2 tablespoons of Basil pesto, only half a package of frozen spinach. If you can find real mushrooms on sale I would recommend that. The cost of this was around $14 and worth it! You can definitely split this recipe and freeze half of it. This is definitely a recipe keeper. Thanks a bunch!"
"I made this tonight, we loved it! I will be making it again, only I will make 1/2 the recipe for just three of us."
"Excellent dish. I had some left over sauce and added some turkey sausage to that. Also, had only partial boxes of spaghetti (wheat and regular). Everyone loved it.Definite winner."
"I had almost all the ingredients for this dish, so I called a few neighbors for a few ingredients and to my happy surprise, one had the cottage cheese and the other had the chopped spinach I needed...This casserole is a keeper!! it was so homey and delicious...I shared some of the casserole with my neighbors and printed the recipe for them..."
"This was really good. It so hard to get my kids to eat green vegetables! But this was a winner. It tasted great. It made a ton too. I fed 4 kids and two adults and still had a ton left over."
"I liked it but haven't tried it yet. It just sounds tasty and easy to make. EVL"
"I needed to make changes to ground beef, 10oz. box of spaghetti, 24 oz jar of Prego and fresh spinach, because that's what I had on hand. I rinsed out the jar with a cup of water and added that to the meat/spaghetti mix. We liked this dish a lot and I will definitely be making this again."