- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups (16 ounces) 4% cottage cheese
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce and mushrooms. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15 minutes or until heated through.
- Drain pasta. In a large bowl, combine the egg, cottage cheese, spinach, Parmesan cheese, seasoned salt and pepper. Spread 1 cup sausage mixture in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with spaghetti and remaining sausage mixture. Layer with spinach mixture and mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 45 minutes. Uncover; bake 15 minutes longer or until lightly browned and heated through. Let stand for 15 minutes before cutting. Yield: 9 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Florentine Spaghetti Bake
Sort By :
"Excellent recipe! I sauteed red bell pepper with the sausage and onion and used ricotta instead of the cottage cheese.I used 4 garlic cloves instead of one. The directions and amounts are right on. Thank you for a great recipe I will make many more times!"
"This is such a delicious recipe! We all loved it! I sauteed chopped red bell pepper with the onion and sausage and used ricotta instead of cottage cheese. Directions and amounts stated are right on. Tastes like my lasagna but easier. I will make this many more times, one of the best casseroles I've made. Thank you for the recipe!"
"Since it's just the two of us, I halve this great tasting dish. However, I still use 10 ounce box chopped spinach. Raving dish ~~ Definite Keeper!!"
"This is an amzing recipe. The amount for all the ingredients are spot on. I sometimes add ricotto cheese if I don't have cottage cheese and I always add fresh basil and fresh parsley and let it simmer for a while, before baking, for even extra flavor. Very good, you won't be disappointed."
"Now this is one good cassserole. Better than lasagna in my opinion! I plan to try this using ground beef, something we always have on hand."