- 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 jar (26 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 32 balls.
- Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 24-28 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain on paper towels.
- Save half of the meatballs for Italian Stroganoff (recipe also in Recipe Finder) or save for another use. In a large saucepan, heat spaghetti sauce; add the remaining meatballs. Serve with spaghetti. Yield: 4 servings plus 16 cooked meatballs.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Florentine Meatballs
"The texture was tender. I formed them with a 1/4 cup measuring cup and they were a nice size. I added 1 tsp crushed fennel seed for more flavor, however, I they still they need more seasoning such as salt, Italian seasoning, and increase to 1 Tbsp of crushed fennel seed because they were bland tasting. I will definitely make this recipe again."
"I agree with moosetrax75. There is just too much spinach. That says a lot for me because spinach is my favorite vegetable but not in these."
"My husband and I LOVED this recipe! But, I couldn't find boxes of frozen spinach and had to buy a bag instead. I used half of the bag and that seemed to be a better amount than the two boxes the recipe calls for. We ate them over hot rice and it was really yummy!"
"I liked the idea of using meatballs in a stroganoff. For the other half of the meatballs, though, instead of spaghetti, I made meatball subs!"
"Like moosetrax75, I reduced the amount of spinach, as it semmed like too much. I like my food without much salt, so that wasn't a problem for me. I seasoned the meatball mix with oregano and basil."