This flavorful breakfast bake comes together quickly using handy convenience foods, including refrigerated hash browns, biscuit mix and store-bought pesto. For a seafood variation, replace the ham with crabmeat.
Recommended: 30 Better-for-You Breakfasts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (20 ounces) refrigerated shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 4 ounces Swiss cheese, cubed
- 4 ounces thinly sliced deli ham, coarsely chopped
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon prepared pesto
- 1 cup biscuit/baking mix
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Asiago cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- In a large bowl, combine the hash browns and oil. Press into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Combine the spinach and Swiss cheese; sprinkle over crust. Top with ham. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk and pesto. Combine the biscuit mix, salt and pepper; add to egg mixture. Stir in the Asiago cheese. Pour over ham.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle with basil. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Florentine Egg Bake in Quick Cooking May/June 2005, p31