Florentine Cookie Bars Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup honey
- 4 cups sliced almonds
- 1-1/2 cups red and/or green candied cherries
- 3/4 cup dried currants
- 1-1/4 pounds white candy coating, coarsely chopped
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Gradually add flour and mix well. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle.
- Roll dough into an ungreased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Meanwhile, in a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cream, butter and honey. Cook, stirring occasionally, until a candy thermometer reads 246° (firm-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in the almonds, cherries and currants. Spread evenly into crust.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes or just until filling is set. Cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate overnight.
- Remove florentine from pan. With a sharp knife, trim edges of crust; discard the trim. Cut lengthwise into six strips; cut each strip into 16 triangles.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Dip the short side of each triangle into candy coating; place on waxed paper. Drizzle with additional candy coating. Let stand until set. Cover and store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8 dozen.
Reviews for Florentine Cookie Bars(2)
Sort By :
I used to cater parties for US Army Generals...I made these every Christmas & the officers went CRAZY for them! No matter how many I made, there were never enough...they went THAT fast. This recipe is worth the time & effort! My fave holiday recipe so far!
I really struggled with these cookies. First, there is too much filling for the size of the pan. It all bubbled over and made a huge mess in the bottom of my oven. Second, after chilling they are impossible to cut and end up breaking into brittle pieces instead of neat little triangles.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Almond Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Christmas Desserts >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Cookie Recipes >
- Cookies >
- Desserts >
- Diabetic Cookies >
- Diabetic Desserts >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Gift Recipes >
- Holiday Cookie Recipes >
- Low Fat Dessert Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Sodium Desserts >
- Low Sodium Recipes >