Florence-Inspired Souffle Recipe
- 6 egg whites
- 3/4 cup onion and garlic salad croutons
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- In a food processor, process croutons until ground. Sprinkle evenly onto the bottom and 1 in. up the sides of a greased 2-qt. souffle dish; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion, red pepper and prosciutto in oil for 3-5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add spinach and garlic; cook just until spinach is wilted. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk; return all to the bowl, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat until stiff peaks form. Fold into vegetable mixture. Transfer to prepared dish; sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until top is puffed and center appears set. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Florence-Inspired Souffle(4)
Sort By :
Egg yolk is listed in the ingredients. Read down the list. Directions should have been a little clearer.
Egg yolks are mentioned in Step 4 but they are not in the ingredients list.
Good recipe. A little time consuming and needs more spice but it can take more veggies. I made individual souffles and the rose way over the top but settled down after sitting.
Very good despite a couple substitutions just because I used what was on hand. I put thin sliced cheddar/Parmesan on top which was quite tasty.
More Recipe Collections
- Baking Recipes >
- Breakfast Egg Recipes >
- Breakfast Recipes >
- Brunch Egg Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Christmas Breakfast Recipes >
- Christmas Brunch Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Diabetic Breakfast Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Easter Breakfast Recipes >
- Easter Brunch Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Egg Recipes >
- Eggs Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Healthy Breakfast Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Breakfast Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Breakfast >