- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- Pink, blue, yellow and green paste food coloring
- 4 pieces red rope licorice
- Candy buttons
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Line a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake according to package directions. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Trace flip-flop pattern onto waxed paper; cut out. Arrange pattern over cake; with a sharp knife, cut out. Flip pattern and cut out a second flip-flop. Discard scraps. Transfer cakes to a covered cake board.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and meringue powder. In the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer, combine the shortening, butter, milk and vanilla. Beat in sugar mixture.
- Tint 1 cup frosting pink; frost tops of cakes. Tint 1 cup frosting blue; frost sides of cakes. Insert licorice ends into cakes to form straps of flip-flops.
- Tint 1/4 cup frosting yellow. Using a #4 round tip, pipe decorative lines on top of shoes. Using a #17 star tip, pipe rosettes where straps meet. Tint remaining frosting green. Using a #352 leaf tip, pipe leaves around rosettes.
- To finish, press candy buttons into sides of cakes; sprinkle cracker crumbs on board to form sand. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Flip-Flop Cakes
Sort By :
This is perfect for my granddaughter. How cute is this and how easy it was!
Fun and easy to make. My daughter and her friends loved it!
I actually used the Hot Milk cake recipe for the cake and added goldfish to the beach sand. It was a hit with both children and adults
This cake was great fun to make. Easy as well. I'm not a cake maker or decorator but pulled this on off just fine. Was a little bewildered as to where to find food coloring paste and meringue powder (Micheal's for both) Such a adorable idea. Thanks TOH
i love this for a end of summer party that my girls wanted to do.. and for a back to school fun time party.. i going to have my girls do them up and have everyone were flip flops to the party.. thanks so much yrv