Flip-Flop Cakes Recipe
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- Pink, blue, yellow and green paste food coloring
- 4 pieces red rope licorice
- Candy buttons
- Graham cracker crumbs
- 1. Line a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake according to package directions. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 2. Trace flip-flop pattern onto waxed paper; cut out. Arrange pattern over cake; with a sharp knife, cut out. Flip pattern and cut out a second flip-flop. Discard scraps. Transfer cakes to a covered cake board.
- 3. For frosting, in a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and meringue powder. In the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer, combine the shortening, butter, milk and vanilla. Beat in sugar mixture.
- 4. Tint 1 cup frosting pink; frost tops of cakes. Tint 1 cup frosting blue; frost sides of cakes. Insert licorice ends into cakes to form straps of flip-flops.
- 5. Tint 1/4 cup frosting yellow. Using a #4 round tip, pipe decorative lines on top of shoes. Using a #17 star tip, pipe rosettes where straps meet. Tint remaining frosting green. Using a #352 leaf tip, pipe leaves around rosettes.
- 6. To finish, press candy buttons into sides of cakes; sprinkle cracker crumbs on board to form sand. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Flip-Flop Cakes
"This is perfect for my granddaughter. How cute is this and how easy it was!"
"Fun and easy to make. My daughter and her friends loved it!"
"I actually used the Hot Milk cake recipe for the cake and added goldfish to the beach sand. It was a hit with both children and adults"
"This cake was great fun to make. Easy as well. I'm not a cake maker or decorator but pulled this on off just fine. Was a little bewildered as to where to find food coloring paste and meringue powder (Micheal's for both) Such a adorable idea. Thanks TOH"
"i love this for a end of summer party that my girls wanted to do.. and for a back to school fun time party.. i going to have my girls do them up and have everyone were flip flops to the party.. thanks so much yrv"
"Thank you so much for the idea."
"Flip-flop pattern: Take a real flip-flop, put it on a piece of paper and trace it. If it is too small/large to make two on your cake--enlarge or decrease it to the size you want. No flip-flop?? Trace your foot on a piece of paper--just don't outline the toes--just draw a curve from the big toe to the smallest toe."
"Where do I get the flip flop pattern??"
"This looks like such a fun cake for a summer get together, but where do you get the flip-flop pattern?"
"I am going to a progressive dinner on 8 party boats this coming week-end... this is going to be great to take"
"I will make this for my granddaughter,s birthday she will LOVE it"
"This is such a darling idea."
"A PDF of the flip-flop pattern can be downloaded at http://hostedmedia.reimanpub.com/TOH/Images/toh_plus/FlipFlopCakes.pdf"