Flaxseed Oatmeal Pancakes Recipe
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolk, buttermilk, brown sugar, oil and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat egg white on medium speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.
- 3. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a hot griddle coated with cooking spray; turn when bubbles form on top. Cook until the second side is golden brown. Yield: 4 pancakes.
2 each: 273 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 108mg cholesterol, 357mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat.
Reviews for Flaxseed Oatmeal Pancakes
"My husband says he believes these are the BEST pancakes he's ever eaten! Plus, we're trying to eat healthy, so- it's a "win-win"! I like mine topped with honey and walnuts."
"Excellent pancake, love the healthy addition of flaxseed! I added blueberries."
"These were fantastic! I have tried several healthy versions of pancakes and this one is the winner!"
"YUM! Great texture and taste. I served them with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and fresh mixed berries on top"
"Surprisingly tasty spread with cream cheese and syrup. Double the recipe to feed more than 2 though."
"These were sooo good, my 20 month old couldn't eat enough (literally I had to cut her off). I also ground up the flax seeds, used old fashioned oats, and I realized halfway into the recipe I was out of eggs and it turned out perfect and delicious."
"This is one of the best pancake recipes I've make in a long time. Will make again and again. I put apple syrup and strawberries on top. Yum!!"
"3/2011 These have a perfect flavor. I added some frozen blueberries once they were on the griddle and it was a perfect addition!! Update 2/23/14 I made this recipe again today! But with out the blueberries! I just love TOH recipes. It was funny I went to review this recipe and saw that I have but in 2011. This just goes to show how much I love making their recipes, that i have made so many...I forgot which ones I make after awhile."
"The flavor is excellent!"
"I can't believe how great these taste for being so healthy. I will be making these again."
"These pancakes are absolutely delicious! Even cold! I used ground flax seed to get the most nutrition. My family loves them. I have served them over and over."