Flavorful Tomato Juice Recipe
Jalapenos, spicy pepper sauce and horseradish are some of my favorite cooking ingredients. I knew they were the perfect way to spice up this thick, homemade tomato juice. —Jeannie Linsavage of Albuquerque, New Mexico
- 8 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until tomatoes are tender. Cool to room temperature.
- 2. Transfer mixture to a blender; cover and process until blended. Strain and discard seeds. Return tomato juice to saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-18 minutes or until juice measures 3 cups. Cool. Transfer to a pitcher; cover and refrigerate until chilled. Yield: 4 servings.
3/4 cup equals 121 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 624 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC