Jalapenos, spicy pepper sauce and horseradish are some of my favorite cooking ingredients. I knew they were the perfect way to spice up this thick, homemade tomato juice. —Jeannie Linsavage of Albuquerque, New Mexico
- 8 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until tomatoes are tender. Cool to room temperature.
- Transfer mixture to a blender; cover and process until blended. Strain and discard seeds. Return tomato juice to saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-18 minutes or until juice measures 3 cups. Cool. Transfer to a pitcher; cover and refrigerate until chilled. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Flavorful Tomato Juice in Light & Tasty August/September 2006, p45
Reviews for Flavorful Tomato Juice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review